Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kk260

Moved from PA to NJ mid year, reciprocity?

Hoping someone can help me with this and how reciprocity works for this situation! 

I was living in PA from Jan-May 2023. Then moved to NJ May-present.
I work W2 for a staffing company (non-remote). From Jan-May I only did work only in PA. After the move from May-Dec I was working in both PA and NJ. Throughout all of 2023 even after the move they have only been withholding PA state and local taxes from my paychecks, and none for NJ. Is this correct? 

When I went to file a partial residence return for PA and NJ it’s estimating that I’ll owe a ton to NJ this year and also owe a small amount to PA. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Moved from PA to NJ mid year, reciprocity?

Throughout all of 2023 even after the move they have only been withholding PA state and local taxes from my paychecks, and none for NJ. Is this correct? No, this is not correct.  When you moved to NJ, they should have started withholding taxes for NJ instead of PA.  

PA and NJ have reciprocal agreements.  This means, if you work in one of the states and live in the other, you will only owe taxes to the state you live in.  You will file a part year resident return for both states.

So, any money you earned while living in PA would be taxable to PA.

Any money you earned while living in NJ would be taxable to NJ, even if it was earned in PA.

To file your return, you will  need to sort out your income.  So, you will need to figure out what your earnings were from January through May on the date you moved to NJ.  This is the amount that will be reported on your PA return.

Then the rest will be reported on your NJ return.  

As you walk through each state return, you will be given the chance to allocate the income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies