Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MO direct debit failure

TurboTax 2023 with MO state module.  E-filed federal and paid via direct debit with no issues.  E-filed MO and *thought* I paid via direct debit; TurboTax collected my bank account # and routing #, but the direct debit never happened and now I owe a $146 "failure to pay" penalty.  Extremely frustrating.  Screenshots from the TurboTax instructions for US and MO attached; they look the same to me.

Paid the tax due and the penalty separately via the MO Department of Revenue website; hope that's the end of it.

MO-1040.jpgUS 1040.jpg

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

MO direct debit failure

How do you know you have a penalty and that the State was not paid?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MO direct debit failure

E-filed 4/15/2024.  No bank activity as of 4/23/2024.  Checked https://dor.mo.gov/taxation/return-status/  on 4/23/2024, screenshot attached showing penalty.  Paid tax due and penalty 4/23/2024 via MO website.  Today (4/25/2025), bank activity shows *both* the 4/15/2024 payment and the 4/23/2024 payment as pending.  Argh, what a mess.

status.jpg

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

MO direct debit failure

According to this article, When will my tax payment go through?, As long as you file your return or extension on or before April 15, 2024, and you select April 15, 2024, or earlier as your payment date, you won't get penalized for late payment. I would contact your state about the penalty.

If you need to contact TurboTax Customer service here is how you do that:  Turbo Tax Customer Service 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

MO direct debit failure

Yeah, thanks.  I suppose I should have waited for something in the snail mail before doing anything.  I expected the MO return tracker that showed the return had been processed would include a hint about the pending debit, but no.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies