turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Missing NY State Forms

Rejected.  Something along the way can tell that the PDF is missing.  

It just says to use the PDF Attachments section which we know about and finally "If you are unable to transmit the required documents with your return, you will have to file via U.S. Mail"

One helpful hint "Total Other Refundable Credits claimed (IT-201-ATT Line 12 or IT-203-ATT line 12) is not equal to the credits in e-filed forms.  Each 'Other Refundable Credit" claimed must include the support tax form for the credit, either provided by the software or attached as a PDF, if not supported by the software."  This might mean it looks at the PDFs so it will be confused by the wrong PDF attached.

I'm trying again because today the Filling Information page is showing the IT-238 (borrowed form) properly listed.  Not sure why it didn't do that yesterday, but something has woken it up.  Let's see if in 24 hours it is accepted this time or whether I'm stuck paper filing.

Missing NY State Forms

Funny, because just about 10 minutes before an email arrived saying you had posted your last comment, I got an email from TurboTax saying the NY State return I filed yesterday was accepted! (My Federal return acceptance email came only about 15 minutes after I filed yesterday.) But it seems that where are you now after trying again is where I was yesterday before I efiled, with the "borrowed" IT-238 listed as a PDF attachment (although I assume it is actually your IT-242, just as I had put my IT-242 in that spot). Let's hope you are now heading toward acceptance and don't need to do paper filing.

Missing NY State Forms

"Your 2020 New York Personal return was accepted!"

I still expect a request from the State to give them the correct form.  But at least it is submitted and all the dollars are legit and match properly.  I'm bummed that Turbotax made such a mess this year.  The pandemic is hard on everyone I guess.

Missing NY State Forms

Good to know. I agree, if it means NYS may request the correct form if they did not get it with the filing, fine, I/we can do that readily. Still quite annoyed, without knowing the "technical" background why TurboTax changed what had been do-able previously. So, count me with you as "bummed" by how they hdandle this for 2020 tax returns. Not sure it's a pandemic issue or some other thing, maybe cost-cutting? At the risk of getting long-time customers annoyed for something that from afar seems routine or easy to fix, or just keep doing what has been OK in past years?

Missing NY State Forms

And every time I sign out on this forum I get an error message, once again diminishing confidence on how "on" TurboTax may be on technical/internet issues. Same with my difficulty in getting Intuit's "ItsDeductbile" charitable contribution information to transfer in, which happened successfully only after several failed tries but succeeded only as I was about to file and gave it one last chance.

Missing NY State Forms

My refund is short the amount of the conservation easement credit.  I'm hoping to get a DTF-160 soon showing they were confused and some detail on how to remedy.  Any news on yours?

Missing NY State Forms

No problem on mine. I saw last week that my refund had been approved, and this morning it was deposited in our bank account, and the amount definitely included the conservation easement credit. Too bad you've continued to have problems, hope they get resolved favorably and soon.

Missing NY State Forms

Awesome.  That is promising.  My taxes were a bit complicated this year, so could be anything, but suspiciously sized to the conservation easement credit.

Missing NY State Forms

In my experience, a call to NY Tax will get it fixed up.  They tend to miss the attachments and the phone reps can straighten it out in short order. 

I'm still waiting on a K-1, so I haven't filed yet...

Missing NY State Forms

They sorted it out for me when I called for 2020 taxes.  Looks like this year Turbotax has removed the attach PDF feature entirely.

Missing NY State Forms

Also looks like they added more New York credit forms to the list of those they don't support, and with no PDF's allowed, in effect forcing filing by paper in New York instead of electronically. I wonder - - New York law prohibits TurboTax from adding an extra fee for NY e-filing, so is this their way to fight back, essentially to eliminate e-filing for more NY customers? At least NY State seems to allow paper filing if your software provider does not support e-filing, which is true here because those forms we need to complete our NY returns are not supported.

Missing NY State Forms

I'm going to enter it as other credit "302" and paper file.  Annoying that I can't override the IT-242 spot on the form but its all locked down.

Missing NY State Forms

I tracked down NY Pub 93, "New York State Modernized e-File (MeF) Guide For Return Preparers For Tax Year 2021".  I also tracked down TurboTax's list of supported forms for their personal tax products.

The MeF Guide clearly says pdf attachments are no longer supported.

The MeF guide clearly says IT-242 is supported and the software must fully support it, including e-file, if it supports it at all. 

The TTax supported forms list clearly says if a form isn't listed it isn't supported.  IT-242 is NOT on the list.  

So anybody with a conservation easement credit is stuck filing by paper or finding a paid preparer with software that DOES support the form fully - Intuit's professional products support IT-242 as well as lots of the other misc. credit forms; no idea how user-friendly they make it though. 

BTW I have access to TaxSlayer Pro Online (used for VITA tax prep),  it doesn't support IT-242 either - you can code the summary amount onto IT-201-ATT as code 302 but you get a warning that NY e-file is not possible.  

Missing NY State Forms

Interesting that the NY State "MeF" guide says that PDF attachments are no longer supported. In TurboTax, if you get out of "Easy Step" and go instead to "Forms", the New York State Information Worksheet has a Part VIII, Additional Information for E-Filed Returns, with a place to list PDF's you select to attach to your state e-file return - this is where the PDF of my NY IT-242 form has been listed in past years. I wonder what this is for if New York does not support any PDF attachments?

integratin6
Returning Member

Missing NY State Forms

i bet you mean Line 48 in the 2021 edition?????  Not 46

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies