Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MD resident, VA LLC - file in both states?

Hello

I'm a physician and live in Maryland (MD), and my office is also in MD. My practice is part of a group that's an LLC with a Virginia (VA) address. I'm a limited partner in the LLC and my receive a K-1 1065 with compensation in box 4.

Am I correct that I have to file an MD return (since I'm an MD resident) but also have to file a non-resident VA return because the LLC is based in VA? It looks like the MD/VA reciprocity agreement doesn't apply in my case?

Thanks for in advance for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have Virginia source income and must file a VA nonresident tax return according to the Virginia instructions for Nonresidents at this link:

"Virginia source income includes income passed through from a partnership, S corporation or limited liability company that does business in Virginia."

And yes, the reciprocity does not apply because the K-1 income is not considered wages.

Note, however, that you are eligible for a credit on your Maryland resident tax return for the taxes you pay to Virginia on the "same dollar of income".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

Yes, you have Virginia source income and must file a VA nonresident tax return according to the Virginia instructions for Nonresidents at this link:

"Virginia source income includes income passed through from a partnership, S corporation or limited liability company that does business in Virginia."

And yes, the reciprocity does not apply because the K-1 income is not considered wages.

Note, however, that you are eligible for a credit on your Maryland resident tax return for the taxes you pay to Virginia on the "same dollar of income".

Great, thanks very much, appreciate the help.

KarenM90
Intuit Alumni

Also please note that TurboTax generally suggests that you file prepare your Non-Resident income tax return first in TurboTax, before preparing your Resident return, just to be sure the credits calculate correctly.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies