turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

J_Ro
Level 2

MD Amendment for Unemployment

that is a significant burden to bear based solely on such an arbitrary income level, but rules are rules. still...

i'd suggest seeking out a CPA to do your taxes, instead of using TT.  there are likely some legitimate loopholes that are able to reduce your AGI below the 75K threshold, possibly by careful examination of the exact dates you received your dividends, or other deductions that are uncommon.  TT is doing what the programmers tell it, which is first and foremost to protect their own interests.  this isn't always what is in your best interest; it is what is guaranteed to prevent them from being scrutinized by the IRS. 

there may yet be updates to the software (at least one, for certain) that will tilt your AGI downward if you can put off filing a bit longer. 

im not a tax adviser or any sort of financial proffessional. 

Amandaanthony2016
Returning Member

I filed my taxes before the Relief Act was passed so I set up a payment to pay the state taxes on 04/15/2021 but I want to change the payment to the new deadline 

Amandaanthony2016
Returning Member

I filed my taxes before the Relief Act was passed so I set up a payment to pay the state taxes on 04/15/2021 but I want to change the payment to the new deadline ..I’m not a resident of Maryland but I won the lottery and I owe taxes.  So how can I change my payment to the new deadline.

PattiF
Expert Alumni

Once your return has been accepted, you can't change the payment date with the state of Maryland. You will need to contact the state directly. Here is a link to information on how to contact Maryland.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I found the updated FORM 502LU on the Maryland Taxes site today. Time for TurboTax to update their software.

https://www.marylandtaxes.gov/forms/20_forms/502LU.pdf

Yes.  I called the Comproller's office on Monday and she said the forms, instructions, etc. for this subtraction will be available today, April 15.  So glad that it is there.  Thank you.

So now that the Maryland Form 502LU is finalized and the final version was sent to online/software tax preparers last week according to the Comptroller's Office, when can we expect TT to update? The lack of communication from TT on this is bothersome, to be honest. The Maryland Comptroller's website is reporting that online tax preparers should be updated as of today as they've had plenty of time to implement a 3 question form into their software. Any comment from TT on this?

When I click "Amend a Return" on TT, there is no option to amend my state return. I am told the IRS isn't allowing me to amend at the moment. But, the IRS doesn't control my state return. So why is TT blocking this?

TurboTax is not allowing amends on state returns that have unemployment, Marketplace insurance, or other issues that still have not been completely resolved.  TurboTax is working on those issues and hopefully the amend will be available soon.

gezahegn67
Returning Member

Please me when the amendment is updated.

@gezahegn67 - From the sounds of recent posts, I'm not sure TurboTax is going to update their system anytime soon to allow Maryland amendments.

Earlier in this thread @LenaH said they would update "as soon as Maryland released the form". Which isn't the case at all since the form has been released and no update seems available. Then, more recently, someone else indicated that TurboTax may be purposefully blocking all amendments. So, who knows when or if an update is coming!

Might be time to dump TurboTax!

Maryland is going to be using a 502LU it was supposed to be  ready 4-15 but I have not seen it. When you log in see if it updates go to your form 502 and see if you have a 502LU it is best to wait for this form so you do not have to do a amendment. But they have already made an adjustment on the 10,200 on the federal side so if you made more than that if at all possible just hold tight 

Now that the form is updated, when will TurboTax update its software to reflect.

When I last talked to the State of MD comptrollers office that 4-15 date was an estimated time it does not mean they actually did it. I checked today no 502LU in my MD forms so I would say it has not been done as of yet

Upon speaking with a MD Comptroller Tax expert, I was told that not only would you need to file 502LU, but you must also send in a copy of your 1099G!  So electronic filing seems like an impossible task unless TurboTax has a way of scanning in that form.

I inquired as to why the carryover Federal Adjusted Gross Amount from the Federal Filing was insufficient.  No answer to that specific question.  Just send in the 502LU and the 1099G.  PERIOD!

I put in a call to the MD Comptroller's Ombudsman to inquire as to why they must have a paper copy of the 1099G with the filing when surely that gets electronically sent so they can audit everybody and dole out fines.

I have yet to hear back from them.

Well I always mail mine in. To pay turbo tax 24,95 to do that is not my way. You can print out your 502 and go to the MD Comptrollers site and do their online 502 and they have the system set up to upload all needed documents to you can file electronically for free 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies