Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spikern74

Massachusetts Health Insurance Coverage

I had health coverage in Jan 2021 & Feb 2021, in March we went out on strike so our benefits were stopped and I did not have coverage March 2021 and April 2021.  I regained insurance from a new employer in April 2021 Through to present which I have the 1099HC.  Will I be penalized for those two months without?  I was only sent a 1095C for the two months that I did have coverage with my former employer.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

It depends on other factors on your MA return.   There is no penalty on the federal return, but Massachusetts does penalize taxpayers for not having health insurance, but not everyone will be subjected to the penalty.   It sounds like March was the only month you had a lapse.   

You'll only be penalized for lacking insurance if you can afford to get health insurance but didn't. The penalties vary depending upon your income, age, and family size. Penalties can be no more than half the lowest-priced plan available to an individual through the Connector Care health insurance.

The individual mandate penalty applies only to adults who can afford health insurance.   If according to the state affordability schedule, you have no affordable options, you won't be penalized.  There's no penalty if your income is at or below 150% of the federal poverty level because there is no premium and therefore no penalty.   See the guidelines regarding the tax penalties for not having health insurance.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You should not be penalized for the two-month gap, as long as the health insurance for the first two months of the year met Massachusetts MCC requirements (you don't need a 1099-HC if the insurance company didn't send one).

https://www.mass.gov/info-details/health-care-reform-for-individuals

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies