Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rheababb

Local taxes paid to Philadelphia were reported as NJ Income Tax withholdings. Now my account was underpaid. How do I claim a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions?

"Our records show that local taxes paid to Philadelphia were reported as New Jersey Income Tax withholdings. We removed these withholdings and as a result your account was underpaid.

Please be advised that New Jersey residents that work in Philadelphia are able to claim a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions. You will need to amend your 2019 return to claim a credit by filing Form NJ-1040X." I am not sure how to do an amendment.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
AmyC
Expert Alumni

Local taxes paid to Philadelphia were reported as NJ Income Tax withholdings. Now my account was underpaid. How do I claim a credit for taxes paid to other jurisdictions?

You need to amend state but it will not affect your federal since federal uses state and local taxes in the same spot. Amend your state form such that only state taxes paid go against state tax liability. Local taxes do not count towards state tax. Mail forms with tracking to ensure your privacy is protected and the documents safely reach their destination.

See: 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies