Living and working in three different states

cstals2

I have been living in Kansas City (on the Kansas side) for the last four years, but working in across the border in MO. So I have always had to file for both MO and KS taxes. 

However last May (2020), my wife and I permanently relocated to TN. So therefore, in 2020, I lived in both KS and TN, and earned incomes in both TN and MO.

When filing through Turbotax this year, I answered all questions accurately and followed all the instructions step by step, but I realized at the end of the process and after I had filed, it never had me file a MO return like I did last year. I did get the credit for my KS return for the income/taxes I had in MO, but shouldn't I still have to file in MO since I technically worked and earned income there for a part of 2020?

pattif12

You should have filed a non-resident return for Missouri. Did you follow the following steps for filing in MO?

1. With your return open, select My Info in the left-hand menu.
  2. Then, on the Personal info summary screen, scroll down to Other State Income, and select Edit.
  3. At the Did you make money in any other states? question, answer Yes and make sure your nonresident state(s) are selected from the drop-down.
  4. Select Continue to return to your Personal info summary.

After you finish your federal return, you'll automatically move to the State tab, where you'll see your nonresident state(s) listed in addition to your resident state.

Tip: To ensure accurate calculations, always complete the non-resident return first if filing in multiple states because your resident state might give you a credit for any taxes paid in that situation.

cstals2

I really appreciate this feedback! This is very helpful.

Unfortunately, I did not do this. I do not remember going through that step. As always, I followed all the steps given to me from the beginning. When completing my KS return, it did ask the questions of if I made income from sources outside the state, which is where I entered my MO income and tax info and where I then received my credit.

Do you think I will be successful in now adding a filing for MO on Turbotax, even though I did my resident state first?

cstals2

Actually I think I just figured it out! I was able to still go back and add my MO filing. Than you so much for your help and time!

pattif12

You are welcome!