Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Lived half the year in NJ and other half in CT, while working in CT the entire year. Why do I owe money to NJ and get a refund in CT?

I lived in NJ for the first half of 2017, and moved to CT for the second half. My company is in CT and I was working there while still living in NJ. After filling out the information for each state return, I owe NJ over $600, but I am receiving a refund of $80 from CT.

(In 2016 I worked the full year in CT, while living in NJ the entire time. I owed $0 to NJ and only owed less than $100 to CT. My income barely changed over that time.)

My W-2 shows the following (approximate numbers):

• $66,000 for CT state wages (box 16)
  • $38,000 for NJ state wages (box 16)
  • $3,200 for CT state income tax (box 17)
  • $0 for NJ state income tax (box 17)

My total income for the year is $66,000. Originally, in my NJ state filing, it was adding both wages together to total over $104,000 and saying I owe NJ over $1,700. While following along with customer support, I removed my NJ income as a duplicate and input the $38,000 as how much of the $66,000 was made while living in NJ. This lowered the $1,700 owed down to $600.

Why do I owe NJ so much money this year? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Karen1209

Lived half the year in NJ and other half in CT, while working in CT the entire year. Why do I owe money to NJ and get a refund in CT?

From the information provided, your employer failed to withhold NJ taxes on the $38,000 that was earned while a NJ resident.

Having $0 withheld resulted in an amount due.

Your CT refund is a result of $80 too much being withheld on the wages earned while a resident.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Karen1209

From the information provided, your employer failed to withhold NJ taxes on the $38,000 that was earned while a NJ resident.

Having $0 withheld resulted in an amount due.

Your CT refund is a result of $80 too much being withheld on the wages earned while a resident.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies