Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K-1 for Non-Resident State

I am a full-time resident of California, but have K-1 income and K-1 losses from a Limited Partnership in New York.  Do I need to file taxes in New York State as well as California and Federal?  If so, how do I tell California that I'm paying taxes on that income in New York (or, conversely, if I report as income on my California return, how do I tell New York that I paid taxes on it in New York)?

Also, if I DO have to file a New York return, how do I tell them that I paid state income tax for my non-K-1 income in California so they don't charge me taxes in New York for that income?

I'm using TurboTax Home and Business, but don't want to pay for 2 States if I can avoid it!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
TomD8
Level 15

K-1 for Non-Resident State

Non-residents of New York are subject to NY income tax on NY-source income.  This web reference details what is considered to be NY-source income:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/pit/ny_source_income_nonresident.htm

Your home state of CA can tax ALL your income, regardless of its source.

If you are subject to NY income tax, you must file a non-resident NY tax return in addition to your home state CA tax return.  CA will give you a credit for the taxes paid to NY on any income that is taxed by both states, so in effect you won't be double-taxed.  With TurboTax, you should complete your non-resident tax return before your home state tax return.  The program will then calculate and apply your credit.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies