cr12501

Is there a reason that my Maryland state return is showing 75% less this year than last year?

JotikaT2

It depends. 

• Were you eligible for a tax credit last year that didn't apply this year
  • Did you have another source of income this year which wasn't there last year?
  • Did you change your job or withholdings?
  • Did you have higher deductions last year than this year? 

I would recommend reviewing items you had input into your return last year to ensure you are not missing a deduction that you had reported in the past but may not have entered into your return this year.

I have also included a link to the changes to Maryland for your reference.

Maryland changes

cr12501

The only difference is at max $500 more state taxes taken out last year than this year. Everything else remained the same. Both years Iv taken the standard deduction. 

AmyC

The fact that you had an additional $500 taken out in state taxes leads me to believe that you made more money.

Here is a link to the MD state tax tables, see pages 22-28.You can check and see the amount you made last year, the amount for this year and compare the tax liabilities.

It could be you made a good bit more and the amount withheld was not enough to cover the increase.