turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Marty2010
Returning Member

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CALCULATE THE TAXPAYER'S AND SPOUSE'S INDIVIDUAL TAX LIABILITIES ON A JOINT RETURN?

WE JUST GOT MARRIED AND ARE FILING A JOINT RETURN.  IS THERE A WAY TO CALCULATE OUR INDIVIDUAL TAX LIABILITIES AS WE OWE MONEY TO THE IRS.  WE WANT TO SEE WHO NEEDS TO HAVE MORE MONEY WITHHELD.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

IS IT POSSIBLE TO CALCULATE THE TAXPAYER'S AND SPOUSE'S INDIVIDUAL TAX LIABILITIES ON A JOINT RETURN?

No, there is no easy way to do this, since income and deductions are combined on a joint return.  One way to do it is to prepare two mock married filing separate returns, and then apportion your refund/tax due on the joint return based on those results.  Example:  Joint return, refund of $1000, MFS return 1, refund of $600, MFS return 2 refund of $200.  Spouse 1 would get 3/4 of joint refund, spouse 2 would get 1/4.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

No, there is no easy way to do this, since income and deductions are combined on a joint return.  One way to do it is to prepare two mock married filing separate returns, and then apportion your refund/tax due on the joint return based on those results.  Example:  Joint return, refund of $1000, MFS return 1, refund of $600, MFS return 2 refund of $200.  Spouse 1 would get 3/4 of joint refund, spouse 2 would get 1/4.

TomK
Expert Alumni

Please go to this TurboTax web page to use the W-4 Withholding Calculator to help you determine your most advantageous number of allowances to take – to boost your tax refund or take-home pay: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Please read this TurboTax FAQ for additional information on "How do I update my 2019 withholdings and print a new W-4?": How do I update my 2019 withholdings and print a new W-4?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies