Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In state employer, out of state placement

I live in Florida and work on a 1099 status for a staffing agency also based in Florida. However, I do work for school districts in Illinois as a contractor through said agency. Do I need to file an Illinois tax return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

It depends. Were you physically present in Illinois or teleworking? If you worked in Illinois, then those days would be Illinois income.

If you worked remotely, we would need more information about your duties to clarify your situation. Illinois taxes:

• earned income from any source while you were a resident,
  • earned income from any Illinois sources while you were not a resident, or

Illinois does not follow what is known as the “convenience of the employer” rule, which taxes teleworkers unless remote work is required by an employer. Additionally the state has only issued guidance covering out of state employers who employ Illinois residents. So your income is probably not taxable to Illinois if you work remotely. However each case is facts and circumstance based.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It’s 100% remote work, all conducted from my home in FL. I have actually never lived in or even travelled to IL. I am a remote school psychologist for three districts in IL but I’m employed and paid by a staffing agency in Tampa, FL. Since the agency is in-state, I wasn’t sure if there’d be any tie back to IL, particularly on the IRS’ end, since the agency is the ‘middle man’. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

You would not have a filing requirement in Illinois based on what you mention here. Furthermore, if you did you would normally see Illinois wages reported on your W-2 form, in boxes 15 to 20.

Thanks! I don’t receive a W-2, only a 1099-NEC. But that shouldn’t change my filing obligations in this scenario, right?

@ThomasM125 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

No. Ernie and Thomas are correct - from what you have described, you do not need to file an Illinois return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies