turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlbocek

In 2018 I lived in VA the whole year but my wife lived in DC. She moved to VA became a VA resident half way into 2018. Filing MFJ. Do I owe DC when I never lived in DC?

TT seems to want to tax my income for DC when I never lived there is I am filing MFJ.. can this be true?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

In 2018 I lived in VA the whole year but my wife lived in DC. She moved to VA became a VA resident half way into 2018. Filing MFJ. Do I owe DC when I never lived in DC?

If you use the "Married Filing Joint" status for the DC return, DC will factor in all of your income to determine the DC part-year tax on your wife's income.  DC would pretend that both of your income were taxable in DC, and then prorate the tax to the percentage of income actually earned in DC.  DC doesn't actually tax your income, but it does use your income to determine tax.

However, DC will also allow you to use the status of Married Filing Separately to compute tax on just your wife's income,  and you are allowed to use the method that results in lower tax.

To file a DC separate return when you are preparing a joint Federal return, please see this FAQ:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3301995

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies