Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

AGM

Illinois tax return Schedule CR does not appear to be correct.

I have lived in Illinois 100% of 2015. I worked in Missouri 100% of 2015 and all income was based in Missouri. The taxable refund from Missouri did not populate on Column B of the Schedule CR form and I cannot find a way to modify in the online system.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
hjattt
Returning Member

TurboTax IL-State has a bug (deluxe version) which results in you getting $0 credit for tax paid to other state. It does not complete IL-1040 Schedule-CR correctly, it left column B empty, resulted in ratio of 0, tax credit 0.

We had w-2 income and paid tax to CT in 2015. In TurboTax IL state interview "Credit for taxes paid to another state" section, I entered the income and the tax paid to CT.  TT showed credit is 0. The IL-1040 line 16 was 0.

I thought this was some how questionable. So I did some digging on http://tax.illinois.gov/, then realized that TurboTax generated return did not even have Schedule CR which is where the credit should be figured out.

I got into TurboTax, checked that I have answered the interview questions correctly. 

When I took a look at the forms directly, the Schedule CR had the data I have entered in a worksheet, it had the numbers from Fed1040 in column  A, but the column B (non-Illinois portion) is all empty. 

Once I manually entered the income from CT to line 1 column B, the table automatically calculated the ratio which is now non-zero. 

As long as your tax to IL and to other state are both non-zero, with non-zero ratio, you will get some credit. In my case, it was $352 credit. Now I have to file amend IL-1040-X.

Hope this will help some one. Sorry I only found out this after the tax due date.

TurboTax is the tax software I have used for many years. I generally trusted it. This mistake is a huge disappointment especially when I saw people who had similar questions posted there many months ago. 

The problem seemed still not resolved. I know last a few years TT had issues with customer support. This sort of mistakes make me thinking of moving away from it completely. 

anniekhan

Thanks to hjatt for followup on this. It’s definitely a bug. I tried to work this with Turbotax support but couldn’t get their system to mirror my computer due to firewalls on my side.
tstalls62
Returning Member

Thank you so very much for this information. I have researched for 2 years to figure out how the state of Illinois has claimed that I owe taxes even though I knew I didn’t. I just found the huge mistake of zero in credit for taxes paid to other state. I have received threatening letters and even turned over to collections not counting I have been out $1480 that I paid to just keep them off my back and now I finally found this. Turbo tax should have to correct this issue. Thank you so very much 

tstalls62
Returning Member

I will NEVER use turbo tax ever again. I switched to H&R Block this year 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies