Illinois Pension Distribution - 401(k) conversion ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest second stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Returning Member

Illinois Pension Distribution - 401(k) conversion to Roth 401(k)

Illinois allows a deduction for pension distributions. In 2019, I converted a large portion of my employer 401(k) to Roth 401(k). I received a 1099-R for the conversion. The distribution code assigned was G. I know this is taxable on the federal level, but does a conversion count for the Illinois pension distribution deduction? 

4 Replies
Employee Tax Expert

Please see  page 3 of Publication 120 - Illinois.gov where a conversion may not be deducted. In case I am not understanding your situation, you have the official publication.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

Hi Amy,

Thank you for your reply. I do have a follow-up question. Based on the form that you provided, a rollover or conversion ( (I am not sure what the proper term is for a qualified 401k) from a qualified 401k to a Roth 401k does not seem to be included on the list that cannot be subtracted. In fact, in the section on pg 3 titled "What must I attach to my Form IL-1040 when I subtract retirement income on Line 5?" it includes conversions from traditional IRA to Roth IRA, which seems to indicate that a rollover/conversion of a traditional 401k to a Roth 401k would therefore also be allowed. Please let me know if that makes sense. I appreciate your help!

Employee Tax Expert

I would not call this an early distribution, which is qualified. Your code G is really bothering me because that is a rollover to the same type of plan and means not taxable. So I am really struggling. A code H would have been right for after tax rollover to Roth IRA. Those would not have tax penalties. Only a conversion makes sense for taxes to be paid. I think you did both a rollover and a conversion. They seem to allow pretty much everything to count and this is a distribution from a qualified plan. Now, after weighing more variables, I would personally count it. Page 2 has the word qualified on everything and yours is a qualified plan. Go forth and enjoy!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Returning Member

Thank you!

Dynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings