awalker558

If I'm only a part time resident in a state for 2018 are federal wages earned at any point in the year (even if exclusively in another state) used to calculate state tax?

TurboTax is showing federal taxable income on my Colorado return when I did not earn those wages while in Colorado. It is increasing my taxes owed to Colorado. I have business income while living in Colorado 01-08/2018. I then moved to Texas from 08-12/2018. W2 wages were earned only while living in Texas from 08-12/2018. Why are those wages used on my Colorado return to calculate state taxes?

MarilynG

You are correct that you only need to report your Self-Employment Income earned while you were a Part-Year Resident of Colorado.

When you go through the State Interview for Colorado, you can delete the W-2 income earned in Texas, if TurboTax moved it into your Colorado return.

Make sure you correctly entered the dates that you lived in Colorado. 

Click this link for more info on  How to file a Part-Year Resident Return .

[Edited 3/9/2020 | 1:41 pm]

MarilynG

[Edited 3/9/2020 | 1:41 pm]