Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

matt16

If I live in Florida but work remotely for a company in North Carolina, do I owe NC income tax?

I am a full-time employee (not a contractor) for a company that does business in North Carolina. If I live in and work remotely from Florida and never step foot in NC, do I owe any income tax to NC?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If I live in Florida but work remotely for a company in North Carolina, do I owe NC income tax?

No, you do not.

sorry to open a post so old but I have the same question and I understand the answer but my problem is my company by mistake held my taxes for North Carolina and in the W-2 says how much I paid for.

How can I recover that money back?

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

It might not be a mistake by withholding state income tax for NC if your employer treats the income as NC-sourced income. In this case, you need to file a NC nonresident return.  If it is truly a mistake, you need to file a nonresident return to claim your refund. 

@acaral

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hello FangxiaL,

thanks for you response. I talked with my employer this year and now they change my residence to Florida so tehy are not withhelding NC state taxes anymore.

THe problem is, if I file a nonresident NC state tazes and put teh money on the W2. It only refund me like a 1/7 of the total ammount. Shouldn't I get all the money?

RaifH
Expert Alumni

Yes, you should be refunded the entire amount of North Carolina taxes withheld in Box 17 of your W-2. To do this, you want to file a nonresident North Carolina return and allocate $0 of your wages to North Carolina. If you are not getting the entire amount refunded, something was entered incorrectly in the allocation screens. Make sure none of your income from this job or anything else is being allocated to North Carolina. 

In the North Carolina nonresident return, on the Wages Allocation screen under Part-Year and Nonresident Income,  use the Status Pulldown menu and select Not NC Source Income.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies