Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Allthethings
Returning Member

If employer doesn't withhold correct payroll taxes, does employee pay them when filing return?

Context: I live and work remotely from my home in NJ for a CT employer. (The occasional travel may have me work in other states like if working from my mom's in NY while visiting her, but not CT as I have no non-work related reason to travel to that state. And no work related reason at the moment either.)

In January and February, they were withholding CT payroll taxes (PFL) and for one pay period they withheld CT income tax because they didn't listen to my CT W4 NA form.

I've gotten them to reimburse the CT payroll taxes for Jan/Feb, and I'll claim all my income to NJ when I file in 2024 with none to CT (assuming I stay remote), but I'm wondering what to do about the payroll taxes that should have been paid to NJ for Jan/Feb. It is likely I'll hit the SUI tax limit before EOY (just a bit later than I should have), but I won't hit FLI, which means I technically owe NJ a small amount of money for these taxes.

I'm just unclear on how that gets paid: like does it reconcile itself when I file or is my company supposed to pay it (with possibly late fees and interest)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

If employer doesn't withhold correct payroll taxes, does employee pay them when filing return?

You pay for New Jersey FLI through payroll deductions. Contact your employer for correcting amounts for the months you should have been classified as a NJ employee.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies