turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked in New York state from Sep 28th - Nov 15th. Then I moved back to Oregon on Nov 27th back to my previous employer. How would I put this into my taxes this year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I worked in New York state from Sep 28th - Nov 15th. Then I moved back to Oregon on Nov 27th back to my previous employer. How would I put this into my taxes this year?

It depends.  TurboTax cannot do 3 part-year returns, but for your situation it would be justified to claim yourself a full-year resident for Oregon, and a non-resident for New York.  TurboTax can handle that return easily, and it shouldn't have a huge impact on your state returns (and may actually have a better result).

What this means is that Oregon will tax all of your income, but give you a credit for the tax you pay to NY for the income you earned in NY.  But claiming as an Oregon resident (your move certainly was not permanent) will allow you to claim any credits that Oregon would allow to a resident that they would not allow a nonresident (if any such credits exist).  For the NY return, claiming in this way will have no affect whatsoever (they use the same form for a nonresident or a part-year resident).

In any case, you will prepare the nonresident (NY) return first so that the credit can be calculated correctly for your Oregon return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  TurboTax cannot do 3 part-year returns, but for your situation it would be justified to claim yourself a full-year resident for Oregon, and a non-resident for New York.  TurboTax can handle that return easily, and it shouldn't have a huge impact on your state returns (and may actually have a better result).

What this means is that Oregon will tax all of your income, but give you a credit for the tax you pay to NY for the income you earned in NY.  But claiming as an Oregon resident (your move certainly was not permanent) will allow you to claim any credits that Oregon would allow to a resident that they would not allow a nonresident (if any such credits exist).  For the NY return, claiming in this way will have no affect whatsoever (they use the same form for a nonresident or a part-year resident).

In any case, you will prepare the nonresident (NY) return first so that the credit can be calculated correctly for your Oregon return.

Thank you for clearing this up, you've been more than helpful!
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

You're welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies