Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I worked in Florida all year, but my address says I've lived in Pennsylvania the whole time so Federal and State taxes have been taken out. I need to get my money back?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I worked in Florida all year, but my address says I've lived in Pennsylvania the whole time so Federal and State taxes have been taken out. I need to get my money back?

It depends.  The question here is whether or not you are a Pennsylvania resident for tax purposes.  Even though you worked in Florida all year (a state that does not have its own income tax), Pennsylvania will still tax you if you are a resident of Pennsylvania.  I would invite you to examine the following link for information on this subject PA Definition of a Resident (PDF) (PDF file, please look at page 1, "AM I A RESIDENT OF PA FOR PERSONAL INCOME TAX PURPOSES?"

When you read the definition according to the brochure, it may not be clear-cut if you are a resident or not, and facts and circumstances will dictate.  However, if you are not a Pennsylvania resident by tax definition, then you will file a Pennsylvania nonresident return.  You will complete the following instructions:

1. On a screen entitled Compensation Summary, you will see your W2 listed.  Click on Edit.
  2. You will see three separate options.  If you established Florida residency since the beginning of the year, check the box "Entire amount of this income is not taxable in PA".  (If some of your income might be taxable, you will choose one of the other options and follow the screens).
  3. Hit Continue.

Your PA income should be re-set to zero and you should receive a full PA refund.

Keep any documentation available that supports your position, as PA may ask for it later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies

Were you a telecommuter working for a PA company while living in Florida?  If so,  Did the company require you to be in Florida or you could be anywhere you choose as far as they are concerned?
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

It depends.  The question here is whether or not you are a Pennsylvania resident for tax purposes.  Even though you worked in Florida all year (a state that does not have its own income tax), Pennsylvania will still tax you if you are a resident of Pennsylvania.  I would invite you to examine the following link for information on this subject PA Definition of a Resident (PDF) (PDF file, please look at page 1, "AM I A RESIDENT OF PA FOR PERSONAL INCOME TAX PURPOSES?"

When you read the definition according to the brochure, it may not be clear-cut if you are a resident or not, and facts and circumstances will dictate.  However, if you are not a Pennsylvania resident by tax definition, then you will file a Pennsylvania nonresident return.  You will complete the following instructions:

1. On a screen entitled Compensation Summary, you will see your W2 listed.  Click on Edit.
  2. You will see three separate options.  If you established Florida residency since the beginning of the year, check the box "Entire amount of this income is not taxable in PA".  (If some of your income might be taxable, you will choose one of the other options and follow the screens).
  3. Hit Continue.

Your PA income should be re-set to zero and you should receive a full PA refund.

Keep any documentation available that supports your position, as PA may ask for it later.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies