Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work in NJ and live in PA. Do I need to file both state returns?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No. Just PA.

New Jersey and Pennsylvania have reciprocity. So, you should only have had taxes withheld for the state of Pennsylvania. You may have had some employment taxes withheld by NJ (unemployment, family leave), but you should not have had NJ income taxes taken out.

You would not file a New Jersey tax return in your situation. You would only file one if you had NJ taxes withheld in error, or if you had NJ income not covered by reciprocity, such as a rental property or a small business.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

No. Just PA.

New Jersey and Pennsylvania have reciprocity. So, you should only have had taxes withheld for the state of Pennsylvania. You may have had some employment taxes withheld by NJ (unemployment, family leave), but you should not have had NJ income taxes taken out.

You would not file a New Jersey tax return in your situation. You would only file one if you had NJ taxes withheld in error, or if you had NJ income not covered by reciprocity, such as a rental property or a small business.

I’m in the same situation but received 2 W2s, one for NJ and one for PA

TomD8
Level 15

@Kfeeney1025 --  If you lived in PA all year, your employer should not have withheld NJ taxes from your W-2 income.   Your entire income is taxable by PA

In order to obtain a refund of the incorrectly withheld NJ taxes, you'll have to file a non-resident NJ return, showing zero NJ income.

And if you haven't done so already, submit New Jersey Form NJ-165 to your NJ employer.  Here's a link to that form:  https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/nj165.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies