turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I was offered a position from a company in NYC. When they learned I would be working from Virginia they rescinded, citing a heavy tax burden. Can someone explain further?

To be clear, the company is still trying to figure things out, but mentioned that switching the role from full-time to contract may be the only option. What is it about Virginia's (or New York's) tax laws that would make it so financially burdensome for a NYC-based company to hire a remote FTE in Virginia?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I was offered a position from a company in NYC. When they learned I would be working from Virginia they rescinded, citing a heavy tax burden. Can someone explain further?

maybe the idea was that you would move to the NY area and work in the office ??

No, it was always going to be remote. They thought I was in Washington, DC, where apparently the tax laws work more favorably.
Anonymous
Not applicable

you'll have to ask them. but it may have to do with being required to file a Virginia business income tax return as a FTE based there.    But I would think they would have to file a DC business income tax return if you were based there.  perhaps, as you  stated, DC tax laws may be more favorable then Virginia's   it could simply be a matter of tax rates,  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies