Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I've got a Notice of State Income Tax Due (CA) for exact amount in my 2018 tax refund? What should I do in this case? I'm sure this is some kind of misunderstanding

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ee-ea
Level 15

I've got a Notice of State Income Tax Due (CA) for exact amount in my 2018 tax refund? What should I do in this case? I'm sure this is some kind of misunderstanding

Turbo Tax just shows you the net of federal and state for your own info.  You will still get the full refund unless they keep it.  And you have to pay the other tax due.  So make sure you pay the IRS or state.  You can not have a tax due deducted from the other refund.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ee-ea
Level 15

Turbo Tax just shows you the net of federal and state for your own info.  You will still get the full refund unless they keep it.  And you have to pay the other tax due.  So make sure you pay the IRS or state.  You can not have a tax due deducted from the other refund.

I've got the refund for X amount for 2018 year few months ago. Now they sent me the letter that I owe them (Notice of State Income Tax Due) for the same amount X, for 2018 as well. So in the end the balance should be 0... I've recalculated this several times, based on everything I earned by my W2 and other sources, and I see the same refund X that state owes me (same number as TurboTax shows)
Also they haven't sent me any explanations or number, why I "owe" them this amount....
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies