turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I sold a house in California, I'm active duty, non-resident. Do I have to file in CA?

Made less than $100k. Neither wife nor I are CA residents, both paid taxes to other states.
1 Reply
New Member

I sold a house in California, I'm active duty, non-resident. Do I have to file in CA?

Were you eligible to exclude the gain from your federal tax return? If so, you don't need to file a CA return.

From CA FTB Pub.1001:

"For sale or exchanges after May 6, 1997, federal law allows
an exclusion of gain on the sale of a personal residence in
the amount of $250,000 ($500,000 if married filing jointly).
The taxpayer must have owned and occupied the residence
as a principal residence for at least 2 of the 5 years before the
sale. California conforms to this provision.

If you don't qualify for the federal exclusion, you would file a CA Non-resident tax return (CA 540NR) - only your military income and non-CA source income is exempt from CA tax under the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act. 

From CA FTB Publication 1032 Tax Information for Military Personnel - California :

Income Subject to California Tax

In general, California taxes all of the income you received while you were a resident of California and all of the income you received from California sources while you were a nonresident.

California Source Income – California source income includes income from:

  • Real or tangible personal property located in California;

  • A trade or business located in California; and

  • Nonmilitary services performed in California such as salaries or wages from a second job held by a nonresident military member. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies