Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a W-2G in Oklahoma for 3263.67. Although I lost more than that in Oklahoma. Do I still need to file a 511NR for Oklahoma?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I received a W-2G in Oklahoma for 3263.67. Although I lost more than that in Oklahoma. Do I still need to file a 511NR for Oklahoma?

Yes. You would file as a non-resident OK Form 511 NR.

On your OK Form 511 NR, you are allowed to deduct either your OK standard deduction or your Federal Itemized deductions.

When you entered your Oklahoma gambling winnings and all gambling losses in the federal sections of TurboTax, the gambling losses will transfer over to the Oklahoma return as part of your itemized deductions. There is no additional place to enter these losses in the OK return. There is no distinction for state of gambling loss.

You could still wind up owing some tax to Oklahoma even though you claim losses up to the extent of your gambling winnings. That's because OK computes a nonresident taxes based on their federal Adjusted Gross Income, then applies a percentage to the total tax based on the ratio of your income from OK to your total income.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4864017

View solution in original post

1 Reply
MichaelDC

Yes. You would file as a non-resident OK Form 511 NR.

On your OK Form 511 NR, you are allowed to deduct either your OK standard deduction or your Federal Itemized deductions.

When you entered your Oklahoma gambling winnings and all gambling losses in the federal sections of TurboTax, the gambling losses will transfer over to the Oklahoma return as part of your itemized deductions. There is no additional place to enter these losses in the OK return. There is no distinction for state of gambling loss.

You could still wind up owing some tax to Oklahoma even though you claim losses up to the extent of your gambling winnings. That's because OK computes a nonresident taxes based on their federal Adjusted Gross Income, then applies a percentage to the total tax based on the ratio of your income from OK to your total income.

Please feel free to post any additional details or questions in the comment section.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4864017

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies