Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

epmstone

I qualified for a refund from federal & had to pay State. the official federal refund minus the amount I owe on State. Is it safe to assume I dont have to send a check?

I selected that what I owe my state to be paid from my federal refund, but I don't see anything that said it was paid, just that the state forms were accepted.  If my Federal refund I will receive is listed as less than what I overpaid, can I assume the state has received what I owed?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I qualified for a refund from federal & had to pay State. the official federal refund minus the amount I owe on State. Is it safe to assume I dont have to send a check?

You must have misunderstood something.  State taxes owed can Never be paid from a Federal tax refund.  You have to pay the state taxes owed.

ee-ea
Level 15

Turbo Tax just shows you the net of federal and state for your own info.  You will still get the full refund unless the tax authority keeps it.  You have to pay the balance due.  So make sure you pay the IRS or state.  TT will not pay the state from a Fed refund or visa versa. Said another way, You get the full refund, you pay the full balance due and TurboTax just tells you the total.

epmstone

Then why does is the reported refund on my federal return (in big green numbers) equal the the exact amount that is my federal refund minus what I owe the state?

epmstone

thank you for the clarification.

Is there anywhere on turbo tax that will show that the amount owed on State was paid during the filing process?  I am 99% sure I put in my credit card, but can't find a receipt that is was paid.

epmstone

Is there anyway to pay the amount online rather than mail in a check?  I do not have access to a printer to print out the slip of what I owe.

@epmstone wrote:

Is there anyway to pay the amount online rather than mail in a check?  I do not have access to a printer to print out the slip of what I owe.

What state?

You can go online to your state and pay.

Check the printout or PDF of your return; look for the state cover sheet with the Turbotax logo.  If you owed tax, it will show the payment information and how/when you decided to pay.  Read the state payment instructions carefully since most states cannot be paid from within the TT system and requires additional steps.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/refunds/help/what-are-my-options-for-getting-my-state-refund-or-fo...

Oh, and you can't have a state tax due deducted from your federal refund.  Never.  You can only have the Turbo Tax fees deducted from your refund.  See,  Can I pay my state taxes from my federal refund?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies