vero24

I only want to efile federal taxes, but the software won't allow it without filing state taxes as well

I live abroad where the mail never gets to me, so I use my friends' address in everything I do in the US.  I only file because I want the stimulus check, my AGI is zero.  The State of New Jersey insists that I snailmail the form, so I can't e-file the federal!  I am not going to file New Jersey taxes; it makes no sense to file New Jersey taxes.  I can't snailmail my federal returns, because they will never get it.  I have tried certified letters, registered letters, and nothing gets there. 

These programmers that think that they know everything don't understand my situation.  How do I get the program to file my federal and skip the state taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

If you want to e-file your federal tax return now then change how you file the NJ state return.  This assumes that all of the forms and schedules included in your federal tax return are available for e-filing.

If using the TurboTax online editions click on File on the left side of the online program screen.  On Step 3 of the File section click on Start or Revisit.  Select the button File by Mail.  Then change the filing status of the state return.