Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hoffman55

I moved to OH from WV and have not changed anything over to OH yet. WV withholdings are still taken out of my check. Do I file WV as before and what about next year?

I moved at the very end of December from my parents in WV to a house I bought in OH. I have not had a chance to change my license or anything over to OH yet but, still work two different jobs in WV. I assume I simply file in WV just as before but I don't know. Also, what would be the situation next year? I also assume I need to have my employers start withholding OH taxes instead of WV asap to correct and simplify it next year but would like to know for sure what to do......Thanks
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I moved to OH from WV and have not changed anything over to OH yet. WV withholdings are still taken out of my check. Do I file WV as before and what about next year?

You were a West Virginia resident for 2017 and will file a West Virginia Resident Return.  West Virginia and Ohio have a reciprocal agreement and you should request Ohio withholding for the remainder of 2018. 

In 2017 you will need to file a West Virginia Non-Resident return to get a refund of your withholding for the first two months of 2018.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You were a West Virginia resident for 2017 and will file a West Virginia Resident Return.  West Virginia and Ohio have a reciprocal agreement and you should request Ohio withholding for the remainder of 2018. 

In 2017 you will need to file a West Virginia Non-Resident return to get a refund of your withholding for the first two months of 2018.

hoffman55

THANK YOU!!! However, I am assuming you mean in 2019 I will need to file a WV non-resident for the past 2 months of 2018 and in that case will I need to fill out that along with a OH resident one that covers the remainder of 2018 in 2019?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies