hoffman55

I moved to OH from WV and have not changed anything over to OH yet. WV withholdings are still taken out of my check. Do I file WV as before and what about next year?

I moved at the very end of December from my parents in WV to a house I bought in OH. I have not had a chance to change my license or anything over to OH yet but, still work two different jobs in WV. I assume I simply file in WV just as before but I don't know. Also, what would be the situation next year? I also assume I need to have my employers start withholding OH taxes instead of WV asap to correct and simplify it next year but would like to know for sure what to do......Thanks

KittyM

You were a West Virginia resident for 2017 and will file a West Virginia Resident Return.  West Virginia and Ohio have a reciprocal agreement and you should request Ohio withholding for the remainder of 2018. 

In 2017 you will need to file a West Virginia Non-Resident return to get a refund of your withholding for the first two months of 2018.

KittyM

hoffman55

THANK YOU!!! However, I am assuming you mean in 2019 I will need to file a WV non-resident for the past 2 months of 2018 and in that case will I need to fill out that along with a OH resident one that covers the remainder of 2018 in 2019?