Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I moved from Florida to Delaware in the last quarter of the year. Turbotax is calculating an obscene amount owed to Delaware for just four months

I have gone over this for a few days now. Turbotax has calculated I owe $2755.00 for just four months living here. At this rate I will owe 11,020 in state taxes for the year. This can't be correct.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I moved from Florida to Delaware in the last quarter of the year. Turbotax is calculating an obscene amount owed to Delaware for just four months

your tax rises progressively based on how much money you make.

As I understand it, Florida has no state income tax, so this may be quite a shock to your system.

I understand the difference. It's the reason I left Jersey to Florida 13 years ago. Moved to Delaware to get closer to the kids and grandkids but never expected such a high rate owed in just four months. It's nearly equal to the federal tax amount.

My cousin was living  in Delaware.

She stepped a few paces over the border into MD and purchased a nice new home there.

Thank you for the reply. 😊

@Chiefjfp 

Are you sure you've gone thru the entire part-year DE tax return interview to indicate the amount of income that was received after you moved to DE?  Tha should have been a smaller amount than the Federal $$ for many income types  (unless you had no income of any type before moving to DE) 

But if  that was your final tax, that would indicate very roughly 55,000 (OK somewhere around 50k-to-60k)  of taxable income after your move to DE.   But that' s really spitballing it just from DE's tax rate tables without any deductions/exemptions.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies