turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm thinking about moving from FL to GA, how can I see the impact on my 2019 federal and 2019 GA state taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I'm thinking about moving from FL to GA, how can I see the impact on my 2019 federal and 2019 GA state taxes?

The state you live in would have little affect on the federal tax return especially if you take the standard deduction. If you itemize deductions, the SALT deduction might change since GA has a state tax and FL doesn't and property taxes may be less in GA. However, the limit for SALT itemized deductions is $10,000 so if you're already at the limit, more state and local taxes would not change anything for you.

You need to find a way to prepare a GA state tax return. You could create a new account in TurboTax and complete both a federal and GA state tax return for 2018 to see how much the GA taxes would be. You can see the results on line without having to pay. If you wanted a printed copy, you would have to pay for the new account. Or you could go to the GA tax web site and complete a GA state tax return by hand using your 2018 federal tax return information. 

Thanks for the quick and helpful reply!  I did create a GA state return in TurboTax using my 2018 federal income tax data.  But since I took only the standard deduction for our 2018 federal return, it looks like I'll need to create a new account and re-enter my federal & GA state info to see how itemizing my deductions would have impacted my 2018 returns.  Thanks again! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies