turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm filing taxes for the first time. My only income in 2017 was when I worked a temp job in Philadelphia but I live in South New Jersey. What do I need to file?

What are the different levels of taxes? What do I need to pay? Keep in mind that, I am currently single, my parents send me most of the money for living expenses, I'm in NJ family care for insurance. I own no property, have no dependents and only worked for about 6 months this past year. I received a W2 from my temp agency and in the top box 'wages, tips, other compensation' it says something about 11,000. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies
LauraVF

I'm filing taxes for the first time. My only income in 2017 was when I worked a temp job in Philadelphia but I live in South New Jersey. What do I need to file?

You can file using TurboTax Free Edition if you only received a W2 from the temporary job you had in Philadelphia.

The following information assumes you were single as of 12/31/2017, meaning you were not married:

You are not required to file if your total income for 2017 is less than $6,350, which is the 2017 amount for the standard deduction if you will be claimed as a dependent by your parents, or $$10,400 if your parents are not claiming you as a dependent.

Keep in mind that if your parents paid for more than half of your support, and you earned less than $4,050 in gross taxable income they may be able to claim you on their income tax return. You can still file if you want to get some of the taxes paid/withheld on your W2 back. You will have to answer yes to the question "can anyone claim you as a dependent"?

Please read the article Does Everyone Need to File an Income Tax Return? for more information.

Video:  Who Needs to File an Income Tax Return?

Hopefully you had only NJ income taxes taken from your pay.  You will need to also file a NJ resident income tax return as the threshold is $10,000.
If PA taxes were withheld in error, please post back
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I am looking at my W-2 and I have actually four pieces of paper with dotted lines across the center and from top to bottom. The first one on the top left hand corner says 'Copy-C for employee's record. The second one on the top right hand corners says 'Copy B to be filed with Employee's Federal tax return'. These two seem pretty obvious.

Then the last two both say 'Copy 2- to be filed with Employee's state, city, or local income tax return'.

All four copies only have NJ listed on them but at the bottom of each one there is a local income tax which is like $400 and it says locality name is Philadelphia where I worked.

So I think they withheld the local income tax?

What do I do with the last two copies? Do I need to state, city or local income tax? Do I need to pay all three!?

Prepare federal return, then a NJ resident return.  If you efile, it will not be ncessay to send in a copy of a W2 unless asked.but keep for your records.  No need to file a PA state return (when asked if you worked in another state, say NO).  PA and NJ have a reciprocal agreement so even though you worked in PA, PA will not tax your wages.  The Philadelphia local tax is not refundable and you do not need to file a Philadelphia wage tax return  but you can get a credit for taxes paid to another state (in this case Philadelphia on your NJ return .
See:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit14.shtml">http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit...>

@re2boys Since OP worked in Philadelphia, no NJ taxes are required to be withheld.

The reciprocal agreement only applies to state taxes, it does not cover local taxes hence local taxes can be withheld by a PA municipality even if person a NJ resident.  Per <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit14.shtml">http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit...>
"The New Jersey/Pennsylvania Reciprocal Agreement does not apply to income or wage tax imposed and collected by the City of Philadelphia or any other municipality in Pennsylvania. That means a New Jersey resident who works in Philadelphia and pays city wage taxes can claim a credit for the taxes paid to Philadelphia."
A PA business is not required to withhold NJ state income taxes, but many do if requested.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies