Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I lived in 3 states but Turbo tax makes me specify only one moving date which messes up my taxes for all three states I'm filing in. Can I specify two moving dates?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I lived in 3 states but Turbo tax makes me specify only one moving date which messes up my taxes for all three states I'm filing in. Can I specify two moving dates?

No....one state has to be treated as a temporary place you located in, and worked in but as a non-resident.

The details of your situation can be critical.

Example: lived & worked in IA up until May, then went to CO to wrk for 4 months, then moved in Sep to ID to live and work and remain there now.

You weren't in CO long enough to be considered a full resident, thus there as a transient.....and would treat income in CO as a nonresident.

Thus, ID resident on 31 Dec 2021, and moved "From IA" in Sept of 2021.

IA part-year resident tax return Jan -to- Sept

ID Part-year resident Sept to the end of the year

CO Nonresident

But that's just one situation/example

Yep...parsing it all out properly would get messy and could take several weeks to enter properly....and details of your moves, worksite and times in each state could change how it is best done.

Might be better to go to a professional to get it all worked out...even if you file late...but they're pretty overloaded now, and likely won't be readily available for you until////sometime in May??

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

No, you cannot enter two moving dates (because this is very uncommon).  You can however create three part-year state returns (see below).   

First, however, be sure that you actually changed resident states.  It takes more than just being or working in a state to establish a new resident state while abandoning an old resident state.  Items like registering to vote, getting a driver's license, buying a home, getting a new family doctor, other items establishing a connection to your new state and disconnecting from the old state need to show an intent to permanently move from one state to another.  Each state has laws guiding how to abandon and gain residency in their respective states.  

So while it is possible to have established a new state residence twice in a year, it would be rare.  You might post which states you are dealing with and someone may be able provide guidance on their specific residency laws.  

If you changed jobs each time to work in your new state then these steps should work.  If however, you had the same work state while in two or more resident states then likely you did not change residency and other steps would need to be added depending on your situation. You would need to post your work and residence times/states so that someone can provide updated steps.  

1. In "My Info" enter the resident state on 31 Dec 2021 and "Yes" you lived in another state.
  2. Select the state you lived in prior to 31 Dec and enter the date moved to the current state.
  3. Continue
  4. Scroll down to the "Other state income" topic and indicate "Yes" you earned money in another state
  5. Select the 1st state you lived in on 1 Jan 2021 from the drop down.
  6. Enter all your income forms in the federal interiews
  7. Then start state interviews with the first state you lived in 
  8. Change the residency from "non-resident" to "Part-year resident" and enter the appropriate dates and allocate incomes as needed
  9. Next complete the middle state
  10. Adjust the residency dates and allocate incomes as needed
  11. Finally complete the current state
  12. Adjust the residency dates and allocate incomes as needed

There should not be any credits for taxes paid other states since you changed jobs and residency.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies