opsite

I live in WV & work in Ohio. Paid Ohio state tax. No taxes withheld for WV by my employer. How do i file my state return?

DianeW

Fortunately, Ohio and West Virginia have a reciprocal agreement on earnings from wages in their neighboring states. This means that both states recognize that residents could potentially work in both states so they don't want to tax the residents of those neighboring states.

1. File an Ohio return only if you have Ohio withholding so that you can get a full refund.  You would select nonresident status.  TurboTax knows the reciprocal states so the questions should take care of that.
  2. File the West Virginia as you normally would without any allocation.  All wages are taxed to your resident state. 
  • If you had Ohio withholding then you will owe West Virginia.  You can wait for your Ohio refund to pay the West Virginia if this is the case (as long as it comes before April 17th).
  • You can E-file both state returns.
  • There is a form you can file with your employer if you want them to stop taking the Ohio tax.

DianeW

• You can E-file both state returns.

DianeW

@opsite  I added the link for a form to stop the Ohio withholding if you want to give to your employer.