myzdeevegas

I live in TN but the company I work for is in IN they are taking residence taxes from my pay, will I get this back at tax time?

If Indiana state income taxes are being withheld from your wages and you will never work or live in Indiana in 2021 then you can file a nonresident Indiana 2021 state income tax return next year to get a refund of all the state taxes withheld.

You need to speak with the employer and have them stop withholding state taxes from your wages.

myzdeevegas

I’ve contacted my payroll several times regarding this and I’m not getting anywhere with them. Is there a form or anything I can fill out?

@myzdeevegas wrote:

No, there is not a particular Indiana form you can file out for being a nonresident.  

myzdeevegas

Thank u very much. I appreciate your help. 

Hal_Al

In addition to state income tax, Indiana also has county income tax.  The withholding of the county tax will be in box 19.  It's my understanding that you are also not subject  county tax, since you did not physically work there.  Many employers don't understand that as reciprocal state workers are subject to county tax; so they mistakenly withhold county tax.

You should be able to get  county tax refunded, as well,  when you file the non-resident IN return. 

Since your situation is somewhat special, you want to file a paper IN return so that you can attach an explanation of your situation.