turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in TN but the company I work for is in IN they are taking residence taxes from my pay, will I get this back at tax time?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I live in TN but the company I work for is in IN they are taking residence taxes from my pay, will I get this back at tax time?

If Indiana state income taxes are being withheld from your wages and you will never work or live in Indiana in 2021 then you can file a nonresident Indiana 2021 state income tax return next year to get a refund of all the state taxes withheld.

You need to speak with the employer and have them stop withholding state taxes from your wages.

I’ve contacted my payroll several times regarding this and I’m not getting anywhere with them. Is there a form or anything I can fill out?

@myzdeevegas wrote:

I’ve contacted my payroll several times regarding this and I’m not getting anywhere with them. Is there a form or anything I can fill out?

No, there is not a particular Indiana form you can file out for being a nonresident.  

Thank u very much. I appreciate your help. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

In addition to state income tax, Indiana also has county income tax.  The withholding of the county tax will be in box 19.  It's my understanding that you are also not subject  county tax, since you did not physically work there.  Many employers don't understand that as reciprocal state workers are subject to county tax; so they mistakenly withhold county tax.

You should be able to get  county tax refunded, as well,  when you file the non-resident IN return. 

Since your situation is somewhat special, you want to file a paper IN return so that you can attach an explanation of your situation.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies