Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Texas, my office is in Louisiana, work offshore 120 miles south off the coast of Louisiana. I claimed exempt from LA income tax, now it says that I owe LA tax.

My offshore vessel is stationed in international waters. My HR manager has sent me a Tax letter showing all of my work was performed outside the State of Louisiana.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
RichardG

I live in Texas, my office is in Louisiana, work offshore 120 miles south off the coast of Louisiana. I claimed exempt from LA income tax, now it says that I owe LA tax.

Please make sure you answered No to the question "Did you make money in another state?"  You can review your answer to this question by going through your entries under the Personal tab in TurboTax.  

My office is based out of Louisiana though. I just want to make sure LA won't come back and take me to court over not paying taxes. Is this really all that needs to be done?
RichardG

That doesn't matter.  What matters is where you physically work.  As your place of work is well beyond the territorial waters of the state, you are not subject to Louisiana income tax.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies