Solved: I live in texas but sold timber on land I own in Louisiana, do I have to file a louisiana state income tax return.

I live in texas but sold timber on land I own in Louisiana, do I have to file a louisiana state income tax return.

Yes, you are required to file a nonresident LA income tax return even though you live in a state that does not have a state income tax.

Per LA Department of Revenue, http://www.rev.state.la.us/IndividualIncomeTax#nriit, Nonresident and Part-Year Resident Individual Income Tax:

Nonresident and part-year resident taxpayers who are required to file a federal individual income tax return are required to file a Louisiana income tax returnIT-540B, reporting all income earned from Louisiana sources. The calculation for the IT-540B requires that a taxpayer report all income from all sources in order to determine a ratio of Louisiana adjusted gross income to Federal adjusted gross income. Only income earned from Louisiana sources, however, is taxed.

To file a LA nonresident income tax return, click on How do I file a nonresident state return?