Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcclurebp

I live in South Carolina, but work in Georgia. How do I file my income between the two states?

Do I need to file my W-2 income from Georgia in my South Carolina return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

I live in South Carolina, but work in Georgia. How do I file my income between the two states?

Yes, your GA W-2 income will be included on your SC tax return because you are a SC resident. 

You will file a SC resident tax return and a GA non-resident tax return. 

The SC return will tax all income, both from GA and from SC.  However, there will be a tax credit allowed for taxes paid to another state (GA) on the SC return. 

The GA return will tax only the income that was earned in GA.  Any SC income will not be included on the GA return.

To be sure that the states will handle the income allocations properly, please double check your information in the Personal Info section of your return for both you (and your spouse if applicable).  Be sure that you are listed as resident of SC.  Also be sure that the Personal Info > Other State Info section shows that income was earned in GA

Then, when you are finished with all the entries for your Federal return and start working on the state returns, choose your non-resident (GA) state return to complete first.  This will allow the resident (SC) return to get the information it needs for the tax credit for taxes paid to another state. 

ROGSHMAR

I don't recall h&r block telling me this could be an issue. Now my check is being garnished from the S.C. Department of Revenue.

TomD8
Level 15

@ROGSHMAR --

Regardless of what HR Block may or may not have told you, @AnnetteB 's answer is 100% correct.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies