turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in NJ but work in Philadelphia. My w2 has no state tax info, but a Philadelphia wage tax. Is this normal, and how does this affect my nj state return?

I see on the turbo tax state it ask about other taxes paid.  Do I claim the credit on the Philadelphia wage tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I live in NJ but work in Philadelphia. My w2 has no state tax info, but a Philadelphia wage tax. Is this normal, and how does this affect my nj state return?

Yes, you claim a credit for taxes paid to Philadelphia on your NJ return. However, you should have a W2 showing NJ taxes withheld. NJ and PA have reciprocity, so residents only pay state tax to their home state. Cities aren't covered by reciprocity, which is why Philadelphia was withheld.

To input the credit for taxes paid to Philadelphia, you need to access the Credit For Taxes Paid section of the New Jersey interview under State Taxes.

• Skip to New Jersey return, and Update or Continue (the screens may vary slightly depending on how far you got in the NJ interview before)
  • If you have been through most of the screens before, you will land at a summary page "You've Finished Your New Jersey Return"
  • Update next to Taxes and Credits
  • continue to Summary of Taxes Paid to Other States screen.
  • Add State or Jurisdiction
  • Select Pennsylvania
  • On the Pennsylvania Credit screen, check the first box about Philadelphia and say NO.
  • Enter the local wages (double-taxed income) and taxes paid to Philadelphia from your W2.

This will calculate your credit. Click PDF below for images.

No matter where you are in the interview, you can also go forward or back to find the Summary of Taxes Paid to Other States screen.

When I do that, I go from oweing money to getting a little back. I file jointly and my spouse has income from nj that is on that w2. Does that sound normal?
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I don't know what normal means, but obviously you are now benefiting from a tax credit. It should improve your NJ return. Going from owing to not owing doesn't really mean anything.

We live in NJ, but my wife works in Philadelphia. Her employer did not withhold NJ state taxes. They only withheld PA income taxes. I am going to file a PA return to request a refund for all of the state taxes paid to PA. I also added her state wages to our NJ return to pay taxes that are owed to NJ. She also paid Philadelphia wage tax. How do I go about getting credit for these taxes? I believe I can add it to the NJ state tax return. Do I include anything in "Double-taxed income while a resident of NJ"? I believe the answer is no in this situation.
leasedaly

I have a similar situation. My husband had tax withheld for state and Philadelphia so I entered the credit. For some reason I had no NJ tax withheld just Philly tax. Does that mean that I can not get credit for taxes that I paid to Philadelphia? Technically, I was not double taxed, but Philadelphia tax is high and if I don't enter it we owe a lot to NJ (much more than I paid to NJ on last years W-2).

There had to have been state tax withholding form your employer. There wasn’t any NJ or PA state taxes withheld on your W-2?

@thiggins002  When the taxpayer live sin NJ and works in Philadelphia, only Philly wage tax is withheld.  No NJ or PA state tax is/

That’s not correct. If you live in NJ and work in PA, your PA based employer should be taking NJ state income taxes out of your paycheck and remitting them to NJ.

<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.revenue.pa.gov/GeneralTaxInformation/Tax%20Types%20and%20Information/PIT/Pages/PA-NJ-Tax...>

PA state tax should not have been withheld if Hubby worked in Phila all year.

You must file a nonresident PA state tax return to get that back, and then a NJ resident return.

NJ will give you at least partial credit for the Phila wage tax. depending upon the respective tax rates.  Any other income that you had (such as investments) is still taxable for NJ.

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/njit14.shtml

barrylf

I have a small withholding of Income Taxes for Philadelphia as the majority of my W-2 income is from New Jersey.  Do I need to file any return in Pennsylvania or Philadelphia?

amyT1
Returning Member

i’m in similiar situation. I have a w2 which shows box 15 (PA), box 19(local income tax)$1201,( box 18 local wages) 34896, and on box 20(locality)Philadelphia. I live in NJ and work in Philadelphia. I understand that i do not have to file a PA return but must for NJ. Now when i do my NJ return do i get that amount back as a credit when i add (other state taxes paid)? My gross income for NJ is above 34896

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If your employer withheld the PA taxes, you must file a nonresident return for the state taxes.  At this point, if you report the income on the PA NR return, you will get the credit on the NJ return, or you can file with zero PA income get the PA taxes refunded, but then pay on all the income in NJ.  If you have not already done so, you must file a Form REV-419EX to stop the PA withholding. 

Regardless, you do get the credit for the Philadelphia City tax on your NJ return. 

See NJ Income Tax – PA/NJ Reciprocal Income Tax Agreement.

@amyT1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
amyT1
Returning Member

thanks for the reply. i’m a bit confused. My employer did not withhold any PA state just NJ state and Philadelphia local income tax. I thought i didn’t have to file with PA if i’m filing and reporting with NJ. Then i can claim the Philadelphia local income tax as a credit(under other state taxes paid) on my NJ return?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Sorry I must have been looking at a different post.  Yes, you can claim Philadelphia Wage tax as credit.

@amyT1

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies