Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

twest6988

I live in Michigan, but work in Inidiana. Why are they taking local taxes out of my check for Indiana and then not refunding any of that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Hal_Al
Level 15

I live in Michigan, but work in Inidiana. Why are they taking local taxes out of my check for Indiana and then not refunding any of that?

MI has a reciprocal agreement, on wages, with IN. No IN state taxes are withheld or due and you do not need to file an IN return. But your home state will tax you on your IN income.

If IN state taxes are mistakenly withheld, you have to file an IN return to get a refund. You should ask your employer to stop withholding so you don't have to file an IN return every year.

However the reciprocity agreement does not apply to local county taxes. You are not required to file a local city/county return, but you are also not entitled to a refund of the city withholding (box19 on your W-2), unless there was an error in the amount. 

For how to go about claiming a credit on your MI return, see https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3418266-i-live-in-michigan-and-work-in-indiana-i-m-being-charged-e...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies