turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Michigan and work in Ohio.

I submitted a Michigan and Ohio State tax return for 2019 and paid the amount TurboTax displayed. Now I realize I made a mistake that I don’t need to pay Ohio State taxes. How do I amend my 2019 tax return and get my Ohio Taxes wrongly paid back?

Thank you

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

You can amend your state returns using your 2019 CD\Desktop program.

1. Open TurboTax 2019 Home & Business CD\Download
  2. Open your 2019 tax return
  3. Click on File > Save As at the top to give your amended return a new name so you don't change your original tax file
  4. Click on the Personal tab
  5. Select Other Tax Situations
  6. State Amend a Return
  7. Click through the screens until you see What do you need to change on your return?
  8. Select State return at the bottom
  9. Towards the end of the state section, it will ask if you want to amend or change a previously filed return. Say yes and follow the process.

You will have to amend your Michigan return if you claimed a credit for any OH tax.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

Next year, In the personal info section, when it asks if you made money in another state, answer NO, per the reciprocal state instructions, on that page. This will prevent TurboTax from thinking you need to file an OH return.

Ohio has a reciprocal agreement, on wages, with all neighboring states. No Ohio state taxes are withheld or due and you do not need to file an OH return. But your home state will tax you on your Ohio income.

If Ohio taxes are mistakenly withheld, you have to file an Ohio return to get a refund. You should ask your employer to stop withholding so you don't have to file an Ohio return every year.

However the reciprocity agreement does not apply to Ohio local city taxes. You are not required to file a local city return, but you are also not entitled to a refund of the city withholding (box19 on your W-2), unless there was an error in the amount. 

Michigan will give you credit for Ohio city tax paid,  on the MI state return, but you have to attach a copy of the city return. So, even though the Ohio city does not require you to file a return, you have to file one (or at least prepare it) to get the MI credit, even though there will be no tax due or refunded from the Ohio city. 

Thank you both for your quick response.
ErnieS0 That worked and I was able to navigate to remove my Ohio form.

One final question to be sure before I press Submit. I did receive a W-2 for Michigan and Ohio. My Michigan W2 is complete, but my Ohio W2 has amounts only in box 18 & 19. Since I received an Ohio W2 with very little info on it, do I ignore it or do I need to report it? It sounds like I can ignore it from Hal_Al’s response, but need to verify.

Thank you in advance

Hal_Al
Level 15

Yes, you can ignore it, in TurboTax (TT). Another way to handle it: when you enter your MI W-2, add another line for boxes 15-20 and enter the Ohio info. Since boxes 16-17 are blank, it shouldn't cause any problem

If you itemized deductions, the box 19 amount is deductible on your federal return, so you'll want to get that entered. 

If you claim the MI credit for Ohio city tax, you do want to include a paper copy of that Ohio W-2 .

Thank you for your advice Hal_Al.
It’s uncomfortable to ignore a W2 that says “To Be filed with Tax Return. This information is being furnished to the IRS” and also saying “NO” to earning money in another state – when you did.

I did see that TurboTax did suggest saying “NO” to Ohio because of the Reciprocal Tax agreement on my 2020 form.

Blessings all

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies