Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in MA but work in RI. I looked at the tax TT was assessing I had the ability to adjust the amount to the full tax that was withheld on my W2 for MA.. OK to do?

Is this correct to do.  I know people that were fined by MA and they used TT.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AmandaR1

I live in MA but work in RI. I looked at the tax TT was assessing I had the ability to adjust the amount to the full tax that was withheld on my W2 for MA.. OK to do?

No, that is not OK to do. First, you should report your W-2 exactly as it is or your return can easily be flagged. If something is wrong, have your employer adjust your W-2 for going forward (if your total state wages are greater than actual).

Your resident return, MA, has claim to all of your income, earned in any state and you shouldn't adjust it. RI will tax your work income on a nonresident return. While MA taxes all of your income, they'll also give you credit for taxes paid to RI.

For this to calculate properly, you'll need to update the RI (nonresident state) first and then your MA (resident state), last. If you didn't follow this order, be sure to Delete the state (under the State Taxes tab) and then select to + Add a state back in.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AmandaR1

No, that is not OK to do. First, you should report your W-2 exactly as it is or your return can easily be flagged. If something is wrong, have your employer adjust your W-2 for going forward (if your total state wages are greater than actual).

Your resident return, MA, has claim to all of your income, earned in any state and you shouldn't adjust it. RI will tax your work income on a nonresident return. While MA taxes all of your income, they'll also give you credit for taxes paid to RI.

For this to calculate properly, you'll need to update the RI (nonresident state) first and then your MA (resident state), last. If you didn't follow this order, be sure to Delete the state (under the State Taxes tab) and then select to + Add a state back in.

The reason I ask is the amount tax on the W2 for the MA state is higher than what was reported by TT.
AmandaR1

You're saying your state wages on your W-2 are greater than your total wages? If so, that's ok, it'll wash out on the return when you tell the software the actual amount. But, you can talk to your employer about withholding less MA tax, if the situation is continuing, since you're essentially not double taxed. Make sense?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies