• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bjwatts76

I live in Louisiana but work in Arkansas. I did not work in Louisiana any in 2018. Should I file a state tax. Turbo tax is calculating a refund for Louisiana too.

I want to know specifically, should I be filing a state tax for Louisiana if I did not work any in the state of Louisiana in 2018.  I worked in Arkansas the whole year.  I only reside in Louisiana. Please advise

1 Reply
DanielV01
Expert Alumni

I live in Louisiana but work in Arkansas. I did not work in Louisiana any in 2018. Should I file a state tax. Turbo tax is calculating a refund for Louisiana too.

Yes.  If you live in Louisiana, you are required to file a return there because Louisiana has the right to tax all of your income regardless of where you earn it.  They give you a credit for the tax you pay to Arkansas for the work you do there, and apparently you are entitled to a refundable credit in Louisiana which is producing a refund.  I can't see your return in this public format but believe that your return could well be correct.  But you are required to file a LA return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v