turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

diegtap

I live in Kentucky but I work in Indiana. My employer records my earnings as living in Kentucky, but my form here does not show Kentucky taxes at all.

I'd like to know if I should continue the claim with zero input about Kentucky taxes, or if I should go see an accountant because Turbo Tax does not seem to figure that out — and wants me to pay extra $100 to ask one of their reps.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

I live in Kentucky but I work in Indiana. My employer records my earnings as living in Kentucky, but my form here does not show Kentucky taxes at all.

At the request of TomD8, I am editing my original answer.  No, Indiana and Kentucky have a reciprocal agreement whereas if you live in Kentucky, but work in Indiana, your Indiana employer will not withhold taxes and you won't have an Indiana filing requirement. It may have been because you submitted a form to request that your Indiana  employer not withhold taxes but withhold Kentucky taxes instead. 

Your only responsibility is to file an Kentucky State return.  If you started a Indiana return, delete it from your State returns.

[Edited 02-10-2021|13:35 PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TomD8
Level 15

@DaveF1006 wrote "Your only responsibility is to file an Indiana State return.  If you started a Kentucky return, delete it from your State returns."

No.  As a Kentucky resident, your only responsibility is to file a Kentucky tax return.  Your income is 100% taxable by your home state of Kentucky.

Assuming your income from Indiana consists entirely of W-2 wages, salary, or commissions, you do not have to file an Indiana tax return.  

If your employer cannot or does not withhold KY taxes, you should make quarterly estimated tax payments to Kentucky to avoid any penalties.  You'll find the instructions for that here:

https://revenue.ky.gov/Forms/740-ES%20Instructions.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies