turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in Kansas and work remotely from home. My company is in Missouri. I am being charged Missouri taxes on my paycheck stub as well as Kansas City 1% earnings tax.

Do I need to file Missouri taxes?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I live in Kansas and work remotely from home. My company is in Missouri. I am being charged Missouri taxes on my paycheck stub as well as Kansas City 1% earnings tax.

You will need to file a nonresident Missouri tax return to get a refund of the state taxes withheld.  You should also inform your employer that you need Kansas state taxes withheld and not Missouri.

You will get a credit on your Kansas resident state tax return for the taxes paid to Missouri.  So make sure your complete the nonresident tax return before the resident tax return.

@DoninGA why would there be any tax liability to MO?  the OP lives and works in KS. 

Simply the submission of the non-resident tax return should return all the withholdings from the paychecks.

there would be no credit on the KS tax return because no tax was paid to MO, right? 

Hal_Al
Level 15

Your employer should not be withholding the  Kansas City 1% earnings tax, since you neither work or live in KC.  You'll need to file a KC return to get the e-tax refunded.

TomD8
Level 15

MO does not tax non-resident remote workers.  If you're certain you will never physically work within MO during the tax year, then submit Form MO-W4 to your employer, checking the first box in item 4.

https://dor.mo.gov/forms/MO%20W-4.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies