Solved: I have income in NY state and live in NJ. which state form do I do first after my federal return

I have income in NY state and live in NJ. which state form do I do first after my federal return

Last year I was told the order is important. I do not remember the answer.

Yes, when preparing returns in multiple states, it's best to do your nonresident (New York) and/or part-year resident state returns first, and your resident (New Jersey) state last. So, that the credit for the nonresident state taxes paid is accurately calculated on your resident state tax return

Please see FAQ, and complete the steps to enter your nonresident state: https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302052

What if I am independent contractor lived in NJ and was paid on 1099 from business located in NY.

I provided freelance design service for remodeling company based in NY and was provided with 1099. I commute every day to NY to work in that office.  How do I file?

Thank you.