turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ap2242

I have deducted a lot of business travel expenses because I am an academic living abroad on sabbatical. Can I provide a letter of explanation for this when I file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
MargaretL
Expert Alumni

I have deducted a lot of business travel expenses because I am an academic living abroad on sabbatical. Can I provide a letter of explanation for this when I file?

In order to add your statement, you will have to print and mail your tax return.  You can't attach general footnotes to the electronic returns, unfortunately.  The IRS does not allow general notes from taxpayers for electronic returns.  And in fact, they don't really want any general footnotes attached... if there is anything unusual on your tax return about business expenses, they will ask for it if necessary. Otherwise, you don't have to send it.

Note: The IRS has very specific attachments that are required to be mailed while sending the actual return electronically. They are listed on Form 8453 (link below). The IRS specifically states: "Do not attach any form or document that is not shown on Form 8453 next to the checkboxes. If you are required to mail in any documentation not listed on Form 8453, you cannot file the tax return electronically."

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8453.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies