Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ppaia

I have a California drivers license and some income from California but haven't lived there in years. Am I a California resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

I have a California drivers license and some income from California but haven't lived there in years. Am I a California resident?

No. If you are required to file a Calfornia return, you will file a Part-Year return (Form 540NR).  Please use the following Franchise Tax Board link to determine if you need to file a California return. https://www.ftb.ca.gov/individuals/fileRtn/Nonresidents-Part-Year-Residents.shtml#how_taxed

Residency is determined by several things ---such as where you receive mail, where you work, where you vote, etc. What does NOT determine residency is where you got your driver's license.

Also included in the decision is where do you go at night to eat, sleep, etc.  Based on what you stated, you would may be required to file (for 2018) as a part-year resident of BOTH states. 

On what basis do you believe that you are a 'legal' resident of another state?  If you claim a state as your residence because you go to school there, that is not necessarily a 'residence' --wait until you graduate and get a full time job to determine your ultimate residence.

By the way, one common mistake many people make (when they move) is that their driver’s license determines where they reside.  To the contrary, many/most states consider it a VIOLATION of the motor vehicle laws of the state if you do not surrender your previous driver’s license and obtain a license in that state within 30-60 days.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies